Monday, July 21, 2008

Continuing A/C Saga

Hi, this is Dave with today's news.

Kathy, in all her bargain-hunting magnificence, found someone in Taylorsville who was selling a central A/C unit, including the coil, for $425. After about a half-dozen calls about whether it would work with our system and whether it was available (first it was, then it wasn't, then it was, etc.), I convinced the lady I was serious and would bring her a check.

Then we had to find a truck. Fortunately, I tracked down my friend Brent and he loaned us his truck - added bonus: it runs on Natural Gas, so the fuel to fill up his tank was $.80 / gallon and to fill the tank only cost me $10! Sure beats paying for 110 miles round trip @ 15 mpg * $4.20 / gal = $30 just for the gas I actually used! Jordan helped me unload the unit from the truck.

The installer came over and said he had decided to do it tonight - so if all went well, we'd have air back before going to bed. After looking at the unit (which was an Amana, 12 SEER, 4-ton) he said we got an "awesome deal," especially considering that he would be installing it, including new refrigerant, for under $500 or so, so we essentially got a new, more efficient, more powerful, power-saving A/C for under $1000. Sure beats the $3 grand we had planned on spending.

Then the bad news: the installer blew out the electricity and fuses for the whole house (but mostly recovered) and even worse, our system has a "blockage in the orifice" or something like that. No wise cracks. He says he can fix it tomorrow, and worst case will just install the other coil that came with the A/C we bought. So we have one more night of sleeping without air and only one more day of sweating. That's just a temporary setback - after it's working, with the new efficiency, plus the solar reflection Kathy put in the windows, and the two turbines (attic fans) Kathy had installed on the roof, I expect our electric bill to be significantly reduced. Watch this space to learn how much. We'll report in a month.

So congratulate Kathy for the SUPERHUMAN bargain-hunting and household recovery program she's been doing. New dishwasher, fixed stove, and new cooling in our home - all while preparing for this weeks reunion which she's responsible for!

That's my girl!

7 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

HOORAY!!! Kathy sure is good at bargains!! :) I hope your cooling get fixed QUICK...it sure is hot!

Sarah said...

Wow! Love those deals!!! Good luck with it all...hopefully it really is done today.

Nicia said...

Kathy, you are amazing!

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the new AC, hope you're able to get it to work right, and see you guys at the reunion!

McD Fam said...

Wow, you're a Super Mom!

Grandma Danes said...

Kathy, from now on when I look at your blog I will comment. Lots of times I read the blogs but don't necessarily say anything - it doesn't mean I don't enjoy them, I just get in a hurry. I am very happy you have your air conditioning back again.

Esther said...

I am so glad you got the A/C worked out. That is terrific. We are still suffering without it. We have considered getting A/C but keep hoping we can hold off until next year. That was definitely a great deal. I am so impressed that it worked out so great.